Portable Data


Collected here are some general tips to assist when your experiment, appointment, or internship, or collaboration ends at ORNL to assist you:

If the information here does not provide what you need, please contact CADES support.

Taking Data with you when you Leave ORNL


If you have a user account at another institute, and are authorized to login and access their DTNs (Data Transfer Nodes), you may be able to easily move your data to them. Note that institutes may have purge policies for data residing on their storage systems. Often, you can find out information for Globus DTN endpoints of an institute by searching Google for 'Institute Name Globus DTN' or you may search for their endpoints within the Globus Online interface. You may also use the Globus Personal Client to create your own endpoints.

See here for more information on using the CADES DTNs to transfer data via Globus.


Amazon Web Services offers a wide catalog of services, including several classes of storage. Among these S3 and Glacier are popular choices for storing and sharing active and archive data. Data stored in S3 can be made world accessible via http, or access controlled via shared, signed url, or self managed policies which apply to IAM users and roles. Data stored in Glacier is intended for long term, infrequently accessed, archival storage - and is priced far lower than S3.

The Amazon free account tier provides one year of access to a small amount of resources, including 5 GB of S3. https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Additional S3 pricing information can be found here: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

Of course, you may need much greater than 5 GB of data storage. Currently, 1 TB/month rates are ~$23 for S3 and $4 for Glacier.

If you wish to push data into AWS, you may do so from the CADES condo environments, CADES DTNs, or even from ORNL workstations. Generally, once you have an AWS account (and IAM credentials), pushing data is quite easy. Outbound traffic to Amazon is directed to port 443 which is not blocked from most ORNL environments.


Adding External Users as Owners & Transferring Repositories

Accessing CADES Resources Externally

If you do not already have one, you can obtain an external ORNL account. This type of account is referred to as an 'XCAMS' account, as opposed to the 'UCAMS' account you likely had during your stay at ORNL.

If you do not plan to return to ORNL, it is recommended that you create a new XCAMS account - but do not use any existing UCAMS account for it's name, pick something else for the username, perhaps your name, etc.

Once approved, your XCAMS account will provide access to: