Cades Computer Hardware Stardards Policy
The Cades Computer Hardware Stardards Policy seeks to advance the research efforts of Condo users by effectively implementing, maintaining and supporting hardware to meet their computing needs. This policy seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- Standardize on computer hardware in order to concerntrate expertise and knowledge, thereby maximizing support and maintenance efforts.
- Install a systematic approach for the acquisition, disposal and general life-cycle management of computer hardare.
- Provide cost-effective solutions while meeting the needs of research initiatives.
Computer Hardware Definition
Computer hardware is defined as all hardware assests Cades manages in support of user research.
Procurement and Acquisitions
Cades can best provide for the needs of Condo owners by early involvement in procurement and acquisition decisions. Potential Condo owners must confer with Cades to determine whether local expertise for supporting their hardware exists.
Hardware Maintenance and Refresh Cycles
Cades is best able to support hardware on which active warrenties exist and as such recommend that Condo owners include costs for warranties and warranty renewals in their accounting as Condo owners.
Cades also recommends yearly meetings with Condo owners to evaluate the refresh and support cycles for their hardware.
Decommissioning and Disposal
Cades cannot run the same hardware indefinitely and as such embraces decommissioning and disposal of hardware that has reached End-Of-Life(EOL). We determine EOL by considering several factors including the following:
- Consultaton with Condo owners.
- Age of hardware in relation to vendor advocated dates for replacement/refresh.
- Age of hardware in relation to industry standards for refresh rate.
- Ability to secure, Field Replacable Unit (FRU), new parts for remediation.
- Ability to secure new warranties and vendor support.
- Ability of Cades technical staff and Subject matter exports (SMEs) to effectively manage the hardware.
Exceptions to Cades Computer Hardware Stardards Policy must be approved by Cades.